On Friday, September 24, 2021 at about 6:30 pm a fire near Phelan Road and Sheep Creek Road was reported. San Bernardino County Fire Medical Engine 10 and Cal Fire Phelan responded to the fire which was located in the vacant lot between Stater Bros. and Phelan Self-Storage. A homeless encampment just north of the Phelan Storage property was burning. The fire burned in a stand of Joshua Trees in an area of about 120 square feet. The fire was stopped by about 6:45. And firefighters from both stations began mopping up. It is unclear how the fire started
The encampment was fairly large with several shopping carts scattered about, what looked like a couple of generators, and various other pieces of furniture including an old mattress where thrown about. A lot of trash, old barbecues and junk could also be seen, some burned and some not so much. There was even a mattress and bed frame. Another encampment directly adjacent was not harmed.
This is the third homeless encampment fire in this location with the last three weeks. A similar fire occurred at another homeless encampment closer to Stater Bros on September 9, 2021 at about the same time of day. And yet another smaller fire broke out at another homeless encampment near the September 9 fire.