Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

BARN & GARDEN: Food Scraps Help Revive Your Soil & Create Humus

PHOTO: americanmeadows.com

ZIVA PAPERWHITES: Seen here growing in a prick tray for farmers market and online sales from Moonstruck Farms. Paperwhites are part of the narcissus family, and after blooming can be stored for the next year or planted in the ground to naturalize just like daffodils.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email

For those of you taking the Winter growing season off, this is the perfect time to amend your gardens, building your soil’s vitality.  This does not need to be a complicated scientific process.  Simply burying your vegetable scraps from the kitchen in different holes in your garden on a weekly basis can add a tremendous amount of nutrients to the soil.  These fruit and vegetable scraps, free of any fats or meat particles, paired with your coffee grounds and clean eggshells, can also build the humus in your soil.  Humus is an organic, non-living matter that exists in the top layers of the soil. It is the byproduct of the decomposition of all this organic matter that you have been adding to your soil in the form of potato peels, tomato cores, coffee grounds, and clean eggshells, in addition to any animal manures that you may have added.  Humus creates a nice loose texture in the soil that allows air and water to penetrate easier allowing oxygen to reach the plant’s root system faster, creating a robust root system for your plants in the next growing season.  

At Moonstruck Farms, we are continuing to adapt to the changes brought on by 2020, and with the cancellation of all our large events, we have dived headfirst into completing our online store so that our customers from afar can still reach us and order our small batch jams, artisan mustards, and fruit-infused vinegars.  In addition, we added a “From the Fields and Greenhouses of Moonstruck Farms” division to make our seeds, bulbs, and gift packages available online.  Visit our site at www.moonstruckfarms.com to see what has been keeping us so busy this month.

The Phelan Certified Farmers Market (CFM) is inside the Phelan Community Center, with about 10 percent of the vendors inside and the remaining 90% in the adjacent parking lot.   The Phelan CFM is now on Winter hours and only open from 2pm to 5pm, though most vendors are ready to sell by 1:30pm if you need to get in and out a little earlier.  The moment the daylight is sufficient, and the weather warms a little, we will return to the beautiful Phelan Community Park.  We are closed on December 28, 2020, to allow our vendors and farms a little bit more family time for the holidays.  The Wrightwood Certified Farmers Market has changed their hours to 3:00pm to 5:30pm and will close December 18 and 25, 2020, to honor the holidays.  Happy Holidays everyone!!

NewsPlus Weekly Newsletter

Get Weekly Updates In Your Inbox
Exclusive

If You Liked This Article...

News • Events • People • History • Plus

Established in 1998, Tri-Community NewsPlus provides Phelan, Pinon Hills & Wrightwood with local, trustworthy, verified news, events, and information at 4newsplus.com and in print with NewsPlus Monthly.

Today's Air Quality

NewsPlus Weekly

newsletter-icon1

Get The NewsPlus Weekly Newsletter, Every Thursday Afternoon

The week's news and upcoming events
in your inbox every Thursday afternoon from
Tri-Community NewsPlus.

e Newspaper

Read The Latest Print Edition Of
Tri-Community NewsPlus Monthly

EXTRA! EXTRA!

Get NewsPlus Weekly emailed directly to your inbox. Stay current with what's happening in the Tri-Community with a summary of the weeks news and events..

Newspaper-Advertise-NewsPlus-01

Tri-Community NewsPlus

Sign-Up For NewsPlus Weekly In Your Inbox!

Congratulations!

Well Done,
You Did It!

What’s Next?

Check your inbox for a confirmation email and click the button to complete your registration.  We do this to prevent spam from unwanted spam robots!