NEWER UPDATE – SEPTEMBER 19, 2020 Evening Update can be found here: “Bobcat Fire (9/19/20) Evening Update; Airstrikes & Containment Lines“
NOTE: NewsPlus will plan on posting two updates an AM and PM update to our website and more if needed. Please follow our Facebook page for any timely updates or information throughout the day.
SEPTEMBER 19, 2020 – BOBCAT FIRE UPDATE 9:00 AM: The Bobcat fire has now burned 91,017 acres, burning over 31,000 acres in one day. Maps are updated over the night allowing for more accurate data to be assessed and reported on by Incident Command of this fire, so this is why there is a disparity between what we reported last night (72,000 acres burned) and this mornings figure (91,000 acres burned). The fire made “significant wind-driven runs and impacted the communities of Juniper Hills, Valyermo, and Big Rock Springs.” Crews will focus on securing the fire’s perimeter in an effort to stop the spread in the communities in the northeast (Big Pines/Wrightwood) and northwest (Juniper Hills, Lago Vista, Valyermo, etc.) of the fire.
The weather is expected to be slightly lower than yesterday with temperatures in the 80s and 90s. Winds are expected to continue to be strong with forecasted gusts up to 25 MPH with relative humidity in the teens and single digits.
There is continued concern for the Wrightwood and Big Pines areas as these areas could be impacted very soon, according to Incident Command. Air tankers are working the area near Largo Vista and east along the Big Pines Highway area.
- Evacuation orders are as follows:
- North of Angeles Crest North and between Clear Creek Station and Hwy 39.
- Including the area East of Devils Punch Bowl Rd, South of the Big Pines Hwy, North of the Big Rock Creek, and West of Jackson Lake.
- Aqueduct – South of Pearblossom Hwy (SR138), North of Big Pines, East of 165th, and West of Largo Vista Rd
- Ward- North of Fort Tejon Rd, South of Avenue V, East of 87th E., West of 121 St E.
- Longview-South of Avenue 12, North of Aqueduct, West of 165 St E and East of 121 St E.
- Tejon – South of Fort Tejon Rd, North of Cooley Place, East of 89th St. E. and West of Longview Rd.
- Peach – North of Pallett Creek, South of W. 114th St., East of Longview Rd, and West of 165th St.
- Cima Block – 96th east to 116th St. E/Fort Tejon Rd south to SR 2
- Juniper Block- 116th E to Devis Punchbowl Rd / Fort Tejor Rd to SR 2
- Punchbowl Block – Devils Punchbowl Rd to and including Fenner Camp
- Paradise Block – Fenner Camp to the intersection of SR 2 and Big Pines
- Chilao, the CalTrans Yard, the 3 Points area, and the Angeles Crest Christian Camp were all issued Evacuation Orders Crystal Lake area remains under Evacuation Order.
Evacuations orders remain in effect for the communities of Wrightwood, Pinon Hills (SBC Sheriff’s issued warning), Monrovia, Bradbury, Sierra Madre, Arcadia, Altadena, Duarte, and Pasadena. Residents north of Foothill Blvd. and east of Santa Anita Ave.