Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church in Wrightwood is celebrating their 80th Anniversary on Sunday, August 9, 2026, at 975 Lark Road, Wrightwood. To start off the celebration, a Mass will be held at 9:30 am for all who would like to attend. Bring your family and friends and join the festivities from 11 am – 4 pm. There will be something for all ages: music & entertainment, games, prizes & kids’ activities, and delicious food & sweet treats from local businesses, including Wrightwood Brew Co., Mile High Pizza, Sugar Pine Sweets, and Snowie Shaved Ice. There is no entry fee.
In 1908, the Wright Family decided to raise horses in the valley where Wrightwood is now located. Ranching required ranch hands who needed a place to stay. Accordingly, a bunkhouse was built, which after several transitions, providentially became Our Lady of the Snows Catholic Church.
The complicated history began when, after some 20 years, the Wrights’ bunkhouse was expanded and converted into the village’s first schoolhouse. When a permanent school was built, the property was sold to the Horan Family of Los Angeles, who ran a church supply business. Around 1940, the Horans sold the property to the Sisters of Social Service, who operated a summer camp for the city children at the site. The site became too small for the camp and the Sisters, in turn, sold the property to the Diocese of San Diego in 1946.
That year, Bishop Charles F. Buddy announced the founding of a new parish in Wrightwood. He called it Mary, “Star of the Sea,” after the Sisters’ camp Maria Stella Maris. However, the pastor and parishioners were never happy with that name. Other names such as Our Lady of the Mountains, Our Lady of the Pines, and Mary of the Stars were suggested. Finally, all involved decided upon “Our Lady of the Snows”, whose feast is August 5.







